One-Pot Lentil Taco Skillet plus Homemade Cashew Sour Cream (Vegan)
I am in the process of moving to a new city so I am trying to use up as much of the food in my kitchen as I can. I had a big bag of lentils lying around but didn't want to make the lentils I usually make...I wanted to make them into a full meal to celebrate Meatless Monday. Though I am not a strict vegan, I do believe in eating plant-based meals every few weeks for the environmental benefit. For today's Meatless Monday, I used a recipe from one of my favorite Vegan blogs "Making Thyme for Health" called "One-Pot Lentil Taco Skillet". It only took 30 minutes and it ended up tasting exactly like a taco but instead of beef or chicken, the lentils were the star. I went without any rice or tortillas but loaded up on the toppings: cilantro, red onion, avocado, lime juice, grape tomatoes and something new: cashew sour cream. This was really easy to make with ingredients around the house: cashews, water, salt, and lemon juice (exact proportions are in the recipe below). I would 100% make this again. See the original recipe link at the bottom of this post.
Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped (save other half for toppling)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bell peppers, cored and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, cored and finely chopped
- 2 cups (or 1 15-ounce can) cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- tortillas, cashew sour cream (see notes), avocado, cilantro and lime for serving
1. In a large skillet, warm oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Next add the the garlic and peppers then continue to cook for about 5 more minutes, until soft.
2. To the skillet, add the cooked lentils, walnuts, tomato paste, spices, salt and corn. Stir to combine and continue to cook for about 10 more minutes.
3. Serve warm with tortillas (or rice), cashew sour cream, avocado, cilantro and fresh lime. Enjoy!
To make cashew sour cream, combine ingredients listed below in a high speed blender or NutriBullet and blend until smooth. Add more water or salt, as needed.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt