Rib eye in a Cast Iron Skillet + Asparagus, Onions and Bacon Sautéed in Bacon Fat
One of my best friends, Bobby, was in Fayetteville for my last weekend in my house before I head off to Boston. One of our favorite activities to share in is cooking. We always like to cook the same breakfast: sweet potato hash with bacon and eggs. However, we decided to take it a step further and make a really indulgent meal for dinner as well. We went to the store without a plan and came up with a meaty, rich meal that requires so few ingredients.
We got two 3/4 inch thick boneless ribeyes, a pound of asparagus, and a single yellow onion. We had some bacon leftover from breakfast to use as well (only 4-6 strips are necessary). The meal ended up being delicious. Though not the healthiest meal, it was indulgent and this is the exact type of thing I like indulging in (rather than cake or desserts). Since my grill was sold by now, I got to try out cooking steak on my cast iron skillet to practice for when I move to an apartment in a few weeks. See below for how to make it.
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3/4 inch boneless rib eyes
- 1 lb. asparagus (cut into 1.5" pieces, diagonally)
- 1 yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 4-6 strips of bacon
- Vegetable Oil
- Cook the bacon to the desired doneness in a large pan. Remove the bacon from the pan and let rest. When cool enough, chop the bacon into .5" slices. Leave the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the asparagus and onions to the pan and cook in the bacon fat. Season with pepper (no salt necessary, given the saltiness of the bacon fat). Cook for 10ish minutes until the asparagus is done and the onions are caramelized. Add the bacon in at the end.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until it's smoking. Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Add the steaks to the skillet. Cook for 4 minutes on one side and flip. Cook for 4-5 minutes on the other side, until the middle registers 130 - 135 degrees Fahrenheit (for Medium Rare). Take out and let rest for 5 minutes
- Plate the steaks with the asparagus and enjoy!