Thai Coconut Curry Vegetable Soup
I’ve been loving Thai food lately so I decided to combine that with vegan night in this Thai Coconut Curry Vegetable Soup. The recipe is completely vegan but I decided to add shrimp so it’s pescatarian. The recipe is below but the original recipe from The Roasted Root is at the bottom of this post.
YIELD: Serves 3 - 4
ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
· 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
· ½ medium yellow onion finely chopped
· 6 sweet baby peppers cored and chopped
· 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
· 3 cloves garlic minced
· 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
· ½ medium head cauliflower, chopped into florets
· 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
· 1 teaspoon sea salt to taste
· ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional but I obviously added them
· 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
· 3 cups vegetable broth
· 2 tablespoons lime juice
· 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
· 1 bunch green onion chopped (for serving)
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 8 minutes.
2. Add the peppers and carrots, cover, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened but are still slightly al dente, about 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, ginger, cauliflower, curry powder, sea salt, and red pepper flakes. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
4. Add the coconut milk, vegetable broth, lime juice, and pure maple syrup. Cover and heat to a gentle boil, then immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Continue cooking, covered, until vegetables have reached desired done-ness, about 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Taste the soup for flavor. Add more sea salt, lime juice, and/or red pepper flakes to taste. Serve with fresh green onion.