Thai Green Curry Chicken Soup
It's been almost a month since I moved to Boston and it has been a whirlwind! I was traveling for work/fun for 2 weeks and I have been out exploring this amazing city. With the bad weather this weekend, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to get back in the kitchen and try out some more Healthy Yuppie approved recipes.
This Thai Green Curry Chicken Soup is one I've been wanting to try for a while. I love soups, especially as the weather gets colder. Whenever anyone asks me what I like to cook, I tell them I usually like to cook ethnic food. If I'm cooking chicken, I want to cook Moroccan or Middle Eastern or Latin chicken. This soup is no different. Instead of classic chicken noodle soup, I decided to make this soup, which used Green Curry Paste and Rice noodles instead of wheat noodles. It was so flavorful and cleared the sinuses a bit more than classic chicken noodle soup, which is especially perfect for when you are a little under the weather.
The other great part about the recipe is that it only takes 30 minutes, which is perfect for an easy weeknight meal. Original recipe link is at the bottom of this post.
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 4 ounces rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 cups snow peas, sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Cook rice noodles according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken, garlic and onion to the stockpot and cook until golden, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in green curry paste and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken stock and coconut milk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in snow peas, green onions, cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately with rice noodles.